Friday, September 12, 2014

Shane

Please don't read this if you haven't read "An Unyielding Desire."
An Unyielding Desire

~
~
~
~
~
~
~

As I wrote at the end of the novel:

This was a grueling story to write. I really wanted to do justice to the characters’ experiences and emotions. The whole story started out well, and the words came easily. The plot went where it was supposed to go…until Shane developed a conscience. He was supposed to be the villain, but I guess he didn’t like that idea. Once that twist popped up, I surrendered and let my characters take me along for the ride. We entered some murky territory, and I think this might be the darkest thing I’ve ever written. There were times when I had to take a break from the angst and issues, but I always found myself drawn back and compelled to continue. These characters demanded resolution, and I was at their mercy. (Yes, I’m aware that sounds kind of nuts.)

Shane is still a quandary. Is he redeemed? Did he change? I think he must have, but how much? Is he worthy of his own story, or has he done too many horrible things to ever be completely redeemed? I’m interested to hear my readers’ input on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment